I will not leave you as orphans, I will come to you - John 14:18
Wednesday, March 10, 2010
We received an email from our agency, AWAA today. It stated that starting today- when someone gets their referral that they would need to prepare to travel from 4-8 weeks for the appearance of both prospective adoptive parents in Ethiopian court. This trip will be 5-7 days. After you pass court, then you would plan to travel again 8-12 weeks later, approximately, after the U.S. Embassy investigates the individual case. We both have to travel the first time, but only one parent has to travel the second trip. We will find more out tomorrow during our conference call. Right now, it's a lot to take in, because it's so different than how it has been up until now. I am glad we will probably get to meet Jillian on the first trip, but it breaks my heart to think we have to leave her there. I do know, God has a plan and he is in control and it is the perfect plan-so we are being flexible! I will add more after our call tomorrow! Maybe now there will be a outpouring of referrals (including ours).
1. Ethiopia has approx. 4.3 MILLION orphans and the country is only twice the size of Texas.
2. 82% of the population survives on less than 1$ a day.
3. Only 24% of households have access to safe water.
4. 1 in 10 children die before their first birthday.
5. 1 in 6 children die before their fifth birthday.
6. 44% of the population in Ethiopia is under 15 years old.
7. Ethiopia's Doctor to Child ratio is 1 to 24,000.
8. Per Capita, Ethiopia receives less aid than any other country in Africa.
9. HALF of all children will never attend school.
10. Because of this : James 1:27 "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: To look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."
I am Erin, follower of Christ, a wife to Craig, and a mother of three amazing kids, Isabelle, age 8, Harrison, age 5, and Jillian, 1. I spend my days loving amd taking care of my family and longing for Ethiopia.